If you currently reside outside of the United States

To study full time at inlingua (18 hours of instruction) you need to obtain an F-1 student visa before you enter the United States. To obtain an F-1 visa you need:

  • A Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility for an F-1 student visa) issued by inlingua. Dependents (spouse or children) of an F-1 visa holder can accompany the student on F-2 dependent visas.

Schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. For instructions on the requirements and visa process, consult the page of the consulate or embassy where you intend to apply.

If you are already in the United States in F-1 status

Students who are already in the United States in F-1 status, must request their current school to transfer their SEVIS to attend inlingua. In order to process a transfer, please complete the following steps:

1. Get admitted to inlingua.
2. Complete the top portion of the F-1 Transfer Release Form that you received from inlingua and submit it to your current school.
3. Provide a copy of your inlingua Letter of Acceptance to your current school and request for your SEVIS record to be transferred to inlingua.
4. Report to orientation on the day and time specified by your center Director.

If you plan to leave the U.S. before enrolling, please use inlingua’s Form I-20 to re-enter the U.S. and to apply for a new visa at the U.S. Consulate or Embassy (if your current F-1 visa has expired or if you changed your status to F-1 while in the U.S.).

If You Plan to Change Your Immigration Status

If you are in the United States in a valid immigration status and want to change your status, you must send an application to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). To do this, you must be a newly admitted student for the upcoming term or the next available program start date.

Important points to know:

  • Processing with USCIS can take 3 to 8 or longer depending on USCIS processing times. While the application is pending you may not leave the United States.
  • Applicants who are changing status from B-2 may not begin classes until the change of status application has been approved.
  • You must submit the application to USCIS within 30 days of being issued the Form I-20.
  • The USCIS process will change your immigration status within the United States but does not give you a new visa stamp in your passport. After the application is approved and if you need to depart the U.S., you will need to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy in order to return in F-1 status.